Friday, March 11, 2011

March: I Heart Ireland (2 of 4)

It's another Friday and time for another movie in our series. This week we present:



I had seen this movie around and heard of it, but really had no inclination to watch it until Curmudgeon enlightened me to a few facts:

1- It's Irish and since we're lovers of all things British (especially when it comes to entertainment), that's an immediate plus.
2- It's hilarious. Also a plus.
3- The "waking" refers to a funeral wake, not awakening. You wouldn't think that would matter at all, but for some reason I was immediately more interested.

The story follows the townsfolk of one small village in rural Ireland. One of their citizens, Ned Devine wins the lottery--and dies of the shock.  Not about to let a good thing pass by, his friends and neighbors devise a scheme to fool the lotto executive who comes to town that Ned is indeed alive and well and ready to claim his winnings. Funny, touching and lighthearted, this is a pleaser in any crowd.
Hope you're ready for some good Irish fun.

up next week: The Quiet Man

10 comments:

  1. Another one of our favorites! (and Preston really has seen this one.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love this one, too!

    On a side note: We've been watching "Doc Martin"--a British TV series--on Netflix (still airing) and it is hilarious! Not just because it's about Dr. Martin Ellingham and we're in the medical business, but because, well, IT'S BRITISH! :) Give it a go, if you can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I've been wanting to give Doc Martin a try for a while (at Netflix's recommendation). Martin Clunes is actually the star of Happy's favorite show too: Kipper the Dog. Fun fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WE also love "Waking" I wonder if you could find Darby O'Gill?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually suggested Darby O'Gill to C. as a suggestion for this month. He was unconvinced by my description. Don't worry, I'll make him watch it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. big test tomorrow, watched movie tonight (recorded by Paul Allen in his diary at Cornell in 1931, 80 years later practiced by his grandson Nathan Allen in 2011 :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought it was a good movie too, but it's been a long time. Maybe I'll check it out again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I can hardly wait for your next selections -- I am hoping that "The Secret of Kells" will be one for this month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. shhh...can't give it away too soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete