Friday, March 4, 2011

March: I Heart Ireland (1 of 4)

Another month with another conveniently exploitable holiday. Luckily, there are some just great Irish (or Irish-themed) movies out there that we are very happy to present to you. First up: The Secret of Roan Inish.


I remember seeing this film for the first time in a tiny movie theatre in Anchorage, Alaska. My mom and I had traveled there for a school trip of some kind...maybe the spelling bee? Anyway, we went out for dinner (Chinese, incidentally. Which has nothing to do with this post, just a trivial fact) then wanted to see a movie. You have to understand that restaurants and movie theatres were rare and precious as our family was living in isolated, tiny Chignik Bay at the time where the favored village entertainment involved crackin-wise on the CB Radio.
So Mom and I went to the theatre and got tickets to The Secret of Roan Inish. We'd never heard of it and had no idea what it was about, but I was probably about 9 years old at the time and it was likely the only movie that looked age-appropriate. The next two hours were pure magic and I've never forgotten the movie, the tiny theatre with its uncomfortable wooden chairs and squeaky floor or that lovely evening spent with just my mom and me.


The real draw for this film is the raw beauty of the land (just look at that gorgeous stillframe... it's typical of the whole film) and nature. The story is compelling and happy-fying. I realize that's not a word, but it's the best way I can describe it. "Uplifting" is too trite. It just makes me happy to watch it. 
No synopsis this time. You should just watch and be happy-fied. Enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. A great memory for me also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love this movie and how you saw it at 9 I don't know since I didn't hear about it until after I was married, but we watch it often and love it better every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something about watching Sayles movies with the parents is just magic -- Reminds me of seeing Limbo for my birthday in Provo -- I love this movie too and, like Mar, didn't see it until I was an adult. Why were you holding out on us -- little Leslee?

    ReplyDelete