Wednesday, March 9, 2011

We're one week into cloth diapers.


We were fortunate enough to inherit a great collection of diapers and supplies from one of my friends when Punky was born. Though I have thought cloth diapering would be a great idea for some time, it's taken us seven months to take the plunge. Of course, there were some good reasons for that:
1) fear.  
It's amazing just how intimidating a simple little pile of rags can be. 
I had never even seen cloth diapers in action, so I had no idea exactly how to do it and felt flummoxed by the many online instructions, blog posts and advice columns. They didn't make any sense until I actually got my babies into the things. Then it all became clear.
2. laundry
It's already hard enough for me to keep up with all the clothes to be washed, not to mention the towels, sheets and blankets that don't get washed nearly as often as they should! It seemed completely foolhardy to add another load that would HAVE to be washed everyday. But you know, the laundry has been a non-issue so far. I still can't keep up with the clothes or linens, but like all things of necessity, the diapers get done because if I slack off on that then my babies will have to run around naked all day. So I do laundry.


A problem that I have not solved, however, is that my babies are huge. We're using large and one-size (at their largest) for both of them and Happy is just barely squeezing in. For the most part it's fine during the day, but nighttime is a nightmare.
Last night Happy went through 4 diapers and 2 pajamas before 1:30 a.m. Then I caved and just slapped a disposable on him because I could see it was a battle I'd already lost (I'd consider getting up 6 times--including a couple times for Punky--in 3 hours losing, wouldn't you?)


But they sure look a lot cuter than the old paper ones, don't they!

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome! You'll have to keep us updated as you learn more about cloth diapers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you could take a page out of Maradon's life and potty train! EEK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hat goes off to you! I don't mind new baby poo, but having to deal with the REAL FOOD dung is above my gag level. ...on second thought, since Lily has completely regressed in potty training and I've been dealing with it in her panties for the last several months, maybe I COULD do cloth diapers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love cloth diapers! We use cloth wipes too, and make our own detergent. We've been doing it for about 20 months. If you have any questions, let me know! :-)

    ~ Maya
    http://marfmom.com

    ReplyDelete