Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What's Up These Days?

Curmudgeon is in the midst of student teaching, and yes, he's still working. So the man is busy, tired, overworked and still manages to come home cheerful and happy to play with his children. Wow. I love him so much! He's in a great situation with his mentor-teacher. She has allowed him to jump right in and he's had many opportunities to teach and direct. He's even writing an arrangement of "House of the Rising Sun" for the High School orchestra to play for their end-of-year concert. We'll be sure to record it and share it with you all.
Happy has had lots of excitement in his world lately. He experienced his first major injury. Ok, whatever, as far as this exceptionally healthy household is concerned, a chipped tooth is a big deal. But he survived like a champ on oatmeal and applesauce for a couple of days. I could tell he was feeling better when he returned to his status quo--peanut butter sandwiches.
He has also graduated to a big-boy bed. We're not really convinced he was ready for the change, but little Punky is not so little anymore and she was cramming into the corners of her cradle. So now she's sleeping in the crib. Happy however, is not sleeping so much. He hasn't had a real nap since the change and bedtime, though still begun at the usual time, ends at least a couple of hours later for him. He exhausts himself playing with his toys (or throwing them from one end of the room to the other) then falls asleep in a lump on the floor. Then, as has happened for the past three nights, he wakes up whimpering until I come in to put him in bed and tuck his blankets around him. I sure hope he gets used to his bed soon. And I REALLY hope that this is not the end of his naps. He may think he's ready to stay up all day, but I am definitely not!!
Punky hasn't had as much excitement. The new bed is about the extent of it. We're still trying to help her figure out how to sleep. I do think the crib has been an improvement (at least, once she got a fluffy quilt to sleep on and a quilted bumper around the perimeter). But we're still up 3 to 4 times a night. But believe me, that is an improvement.
Someday we'll all have normal schedules. Someday our children will be able to sleep by themselves and someday their parents will be able to sleep at all. Someday.

2 comments:

  1. We had trouble keeping Jack in his bed at first, too. I saw ONE WHOLE EPISODE of "Super Nanny" (seriously, the only episode I happened to watch while bored in a hotel once) and she had a technique for getting kids to stay in bed. It's a tedious thing in the beginning, but we used it on Jackson and two days later he went to bed and STAYED in bed in HIS bed. Let me know if you're interested and I'll tell you about it.

    I hope you can get some sleep. If I lived near you I'd babysit while you could get a much needed nap. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, if there's a trick, I DEFINITELY want to know it!!

    ReplyDelete