Thursday, April 26, 2012

Brit Lit 4 of 4

And here we present our final choice for the month: A Room With A View by E.M. Forster. 
This '85 adaptation stars a very young Helena Bonham-Carter, a very uptight Daniel Day-Lewis, a very-much-forgotten-these-days Julian Sands, and surprisingly smooth-skinned and youngish Dames: Maggie Smith and Judy Dench. Also, Simon Callow and Rupert Graves.
Now I've never read the book (I know, I know) but Curmudgeon has and he tells me that the movie IS the book... perfect in almost every detail. What I can tell you firsthand, is that it is completely delightful, witty, gorgeous and fun. 

The story begins in Italy...blah blah blah. It's late and I don't much feel like giving a plot synopsis. Really, you don't need it, because unlike some of our other choices this month, this is a real movie, so it's not meant to watch in installments. You can easily sit down and finish it in a couple of hours, and it will be so much more entertaining than my description here.

But I will give you some enticing teasers... never before nor since has Daniel Day-Lewis played such an awkward, painful snoot. Contrarily, you might have forgotten in the past 25 years of Tim Burtons, Fight Club and Harry Potters that Helena Bonham-Carter used to play quiet, sane and sensible (sort of) ingenues. It's true. This movie also boasts the most hilariously charming, least embarrassing, least sexual display of full frontal nudity in the history of movies. Fact. Don't let that keep you from watching! believe me, when you've seen that scene you'll know why it is one of the best in the whole show. Ok...that's enough from me. Go enjoy your evening.

For May: The Funniest Movies Of All Time (according to us)
Next Week: Walk Don't Run

No comments:

Post a Comment