Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Oh Saint Valentine

 Sweet Saint Valentine made a long-awaited stop at our house last night. Curmudgeon is of the old "Valentines Day is an invention of flower companies to get us to spend money" school. So the fact that he caved enough to bring me a rose and switch his sleeping schedule in the middle of the week so that we could spend the evening together is a big deal!



We also got the cooperation of our children, who slept through the whole evening (at least until C. had to head off to work. Then it was business as usual).  We shared a lovely and high-falootin supper of a colorful and delicious salad (spinach, mustard greens, every color of pepper, tomatoes, grapes and strawberries) followed by the scrumptious collection of goodies you see here:


Home-made hummus and pita wedges, pears, apples, grapes, strawberries, peppers, dates, rice crackers and-- the treat of the evening-- honey-infused chevre cheese. As my husband can attest, I've been craving (and talking about craving) chevre for over a year now. Pretty much since I became pregnant with Punky and realized that I couldn't have any. The long yearning was deliciously satisfied last night. 
We drank Virgil's rootbeer. If you've never had Virgils then you are missing one of the great pleasures of life. Let me read to you from the ingredient list: Anise, Licorice, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Clove, Wintergreen, Sweet Birch, Molasses, Nutmeg, Pimento Berry Oil, Balsam Oil, and Oil of Cassia. Sounds delicious, no? Well it is.
Then for dessert, dark chocolate covered almonds rolled in turbinado sugar and sea salt. Mmmm.
It was a good day.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, tasty evening! Even if I didn't like any of those things, I would eat it because it's so beautifully arranged! Fabulous! I'd love to get your homemade hummus recipe, please? Were the pita wedges home made, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I LOVE the new family picture at the top! Did you make Punky's hat? It's DARLING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for an upcoming post! We love our hummus with (yes, homemade) pitas and falafel. I'll post the recipes for all three soon.

    ReplyDelete